La cruz del diablo (Devil's Cross)




 page 38

No obstante, aquella noche pronunciamos el más formidable de los juramentos, y a la siguiente dieron principio nuestras nocturnas correrías. En ella nuestro misterioso jefe marchaba siempre delante de todos. Ni el fuego le ataja, ni los peligros le intimidan, ni las lágrimas le conmueven. Nunca despliega sus labios; pero cuando la sangre humea en nuestras manos, como cuando los templos se derrumban calcinados por las llamas; cuando las mujeres huyen espantadas entre las ruinas, y los niños arrojan gritos de dolor, y los ancianos perecen a nuestros golpes, contesta con una carcajada de feroz alegría a los gemidos, a las imprecaciones y a los lamentos.
Nevertheless, that night we pronounce the most formidable of the oaths, and they gave beginning to the following one our night raids. In her our mysterious boss was always going in front of all. Not even the fire catches him, not even the dangers intimidate him, not even the tears upset him. Never despliega his lips; but when the blood smokes in our hands, like when the temples collapse bothered by the flames; when the women flee frightened between the ruins, and the children throw screams of pain, and the elders perish to our blows, reply with a guffaw of fierce happiness to the groans, to the imprecations and to the lamentations.

Texto  español vocabulary


formidable = formidable
dar principio = to begin
atajar = to delay, to interrupt
intimidar = to discourage
conmover = to soften
desplegar = to open
humear = to fume
derrumbar = to fall down
calcinado = to burn to ashes
perecer = to die
feroz = ferocious
la imprecación = maldiction






contact privacy statement imprint