page 39

Jamás se desnuda de sus armas ni abate la visera de su casco después de la victoria, ni participa del festín, ni se entrega al sueño. Las espadas que le hieren se hunden entre las piezas de su armadura, y ni le causan la muerte, ni se retiran teñidas en sangre; el fuego enrojece su espaldar y su cota, y aún prosigue impávido entre las llamas, buscando nuevas víctimas; desprecia el oro, aborrece la hermosura, y no le inquieta la ambición.

Entre nosotros, unos le creen un extravagante; otros un noble arruinado, que por un resto de pudor se tapa la cara; y no falta quien se encuentra convencido de que es el mismo diablo en persona.
He never undresses of his weapon nor knocks down the visor of his helmet after the victory, nor takes part of the banquet, nor is delivered to the sleep. The swords that hurt him sink between the pieces of his armor, and neither cause to him the death, nor move back dyed in blood; the fire turns his back and his level red, and he still continues dauntlessly between the flames, looking new victims; he despises the gold, detests the beauty, and the ambition does not worry him.
Between us, some believe the extravagant one; others an impaired nobleman, who for a rest of decency covers the face; and there is not absent who is convinced that he is the same devil in person.

vocabulary  

abatir = to fold back
el espaldar = back
la cota = coat of mail
impávido = fearless
aborrecer = to detest
inquietar = to alarm
la ambición = imperiousness
el pudor = shame





contact privacy statement imprint