Guapeza valenciana




 page 1

Buenos parroquianos tuvo aquella mañana el cafetín del Cubano. La flor de la guapeza, los valientes más valientes que campaban en Valencia por sus propios méritos; todos cuantos vivían a su estilo de caballero andante por la fuerza de su brazo, los que formaban la guardia de puertas en las timbas, los que llevaban la parte de tenor en la banca, los que iban a tiros o cuchilladas en las calles, sin tropezar nunca, en virtud de secretas inmunidades, con la puerta del presidio, estaban allí, bebiendo a sorbos la copita matinal de aguardiente, con la gravedad de buenos burgueses que van a sus negocios.


El dueño del cafetín les servía con solicitud de admirador entusiasta, mirando de reojo todas aquellas caras famosas, y no faltaban chicuelos de la vecindad que asomaban curiosos, a la puerta, señalando con el dedo a los más conocidos.

Good parishioners it had that morning the cafetín of the Cuban. The flower of the prettiness, the brave ones braver who were standing out in Valency for their own merits; they all all the were living to his style of knight errant by the force of his arm, which were forming the custody of doors in the gambling houses, which were taking the part of tenor in the banking, which were going to shots or stabs in the streets, without never stumbling, by virtue of secret immunities, with the door of the prison, were there, drinking to gulps the morning glass of firewater, with the gravity of good bourgeoises who go to his business.

The proprietor of the cafetín was serving them with request of groupie enthusiast, looking out of the corner of the eye at all those famous faces, and they were not absent chicuelos of the neighborhood that onlookers were beginning to show, to the door, indicating with the finger the most well-known.

vocabulary
el parroquiano = customer
la flor de la guapeza = flower of boastfulness
valiente = brave
campar = to excel
el caballero andante = knights errant
por la fuerza = by force
la timba = gambling joint
llevar la parte de tenor = to play the role of the tenor (to be a leader)
ir a tiros o cuchilladas = to be at sixes and sevens
en virtud = due to
la copita matinal de aguardientes = morning schnaps
servir con solicitud = to serve with fervour
mirar de reojo = covertly, to look from the corner of the eyes





contact privacy statement imprint